Ready To Know More?
FREE 30-min Practice Analysis Call for Clinicians
What is Hashimoto’s?
Hashimoto's disease, or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, is an autoimmune disease that damages the thyroid gland. It is the most common cause of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). In Hashimoto's disease, the immune system makes antibodies that attack the thyroid gland. This damages the thyroid gland, so it does not make enough thyroid hormone. Hashimoto's disease often leads to hypothyroidism and the symptoms of low thyroid.
Hashimoto thyroiditis affects 1 to 2% of the population in the US (NIH US National Library of Medicine, 2020).
- Gut health
- Intestinal permeability or leaky gut
- Absorption issues
- Constipation, SIBO, SIFO and acid reflux
- T4 => T3 conversion
- Celiac disease
- Gluten & molecular mimicry
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)
- Food intolerances
Testing for Hashimoto’s
It is fairly simple to test for Hashimoto’s. A blood test showing TPO Antibodies and Thyroglobulin Antibodies will indicate Hashi’s.
FM Solutions to Hashimoto’s
- Auto Immune Paleo diet
- Paleo diet
- Gluten-free Mediterranean diet
There are a few specific diet recommendations that can help:
- Eliminate gluten
- Eliminate soy
- Eat a fully organic diet
- Consider eliminating lectins
- Cook goitrogens and eat them in moderate amounts
- Avoid the ketogenic or very low carbohydrate diets
- Starvation downregulates the thyroid
- Be sure to eat enough of the essential minerals and vitamins for thyroid function
- Identify food intolerances and remove those foods
- Thyroid glandulars or Natural desiccated thyroid (NDT)
- Aloe vera juice
- Iodine, zinc, iron, vitamin D and selenium
- Be careful with iodine supplements!
- Guggul and Ashwagandha
Other ways to support the thyroid and address Hashimoto’s are:
- Heal the Gut
- Boost immunity
- Address infections
- Stress management
- HPA (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal) Axis Support:
- Reduce toxin exposure
- Support the liver & detoxification
For the detailed version of this article, please CLICK HERE
** Follow our blog next week **
Hashimoto’s disease & Solutions
If you are struggling with thyroid issues, contact our clinic today. Book a free 15-min discovery call to see how we can help you with your symptoms.