Training Clinicians Worldwide in The Medicine With Heart Method of Functional Medicine
Get Your Free Training Here
Plus additional BONUS training videos on treating tough cases of brain fog and cognitive impairment!!
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) is probably the closest thing to The Fountain of Youth that we have. It is a hormone that delays the onset of aging. Read on as we explain what HGH is, how it works and what top three things you can do now to boost your HGH levels and unleash the Fountain of Youth!
** Please note: If you want the longer, more detailed version of this article, then please click here **
What is Human Growth Hormone (HGH)?
- Human Growth Hormone or HGH is a hormone that promotes growth.
- HGH induces bone growth and regulates metabolism and electrolyte balance (Lu M, 2019).
- It decreases body fat, maintains muscle mass and strength (Lu M, 2019).
- HGH affects the immune system, cardiovascular system, central nervous system and aging (Lu M, 2019).
- It indirectly helps to maintain, build and repair healthy tissue in the brain and other organs (USADA, 2019).
- Abnormal HGH levels can negatively impact multiple tissues and organs (Lu M, 2019).
- Its use in adults with HGH deficiency results in reduced body fat, increased lean body mass and increased fitness and strength (Heuberger JAA, 2018).
The benefits of Human Growth Hormone include:
- Wound healing and lower inflammation (Granata, 2016). It modulates the inflammatory response by interacting with immune cells (Berlanga-Acosta J, 2017).
- Supports bone growth by inhibiting cell death and atrophy in skeletal muscle cells (Granata, 2016).
- Decreased inflammation after a heart attack, healing and remodeling of cardiac tissue by regulating pathways involved in fibrosis, apoptosis and cardiac repair (Kanashiro-Takeuchi RM, 2015).
- HGH is cytoprotective in cardiac, neuronal, gastrointestinal and liver cells, providing protection in various organs (Berlanga-Acosta J, 2017). The cytoprotective influence is due to reducing inflammation and preventing cell death in the form of necrosis and/or apoptosis (Berlanga-Acosta J, 2017).
- In postmenopausal women, it increases physical performance, improves body composition by reducing abdominal visceral fat (which is the unhealthy belly fat) and improves physical performance (Veldhuis JD, 2005).
- HGH enhances athletic performance through increasing growth, development and muscle strength (Maréchal L, 2018).
How is Human Growth Hormone increased?
HGH can be increased naturally. Key factors in HGH production are nutrition, exercise, body composition and deep sleep (Lu M, 2019). HGH can be increased with a synthetic supplement.
Risks of Human Growth Hormone treatment?
Human Growth Hormone treatment can cause the following side effects (Mayo Clinic, 2020)
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Increased insulin resistance
- Type 2 diabetes: HGH blocks the action of insulin (Lu M, 2019). It increases glucose production in the liver and kidney and suppresses glucose uptake in adipose tissue (Lu M, 2019).
- Swelling or edema in the arms and legs
- Joint and muscle pain
- For men, enlargement of breast tissue
- Increased risk of certain cancers
Cancer Risk (Lu M, 2019):
- HGH can contribute to multiple cancer types, particularly breast, colon and endometrial cancer (Lu M, 2019).
- It speeds up tumor progression by affecting both cancerous and non-cancerous cell behavior within the tumor environment (Lu M, 2019).
- It can promote cell survival and proliferation, migration and invasion, and promotes tumor angiogenesis (the growth of new blood vessels that supports tumor survival and growth).
- This reaction can occur in different tumor types, including breast, endometrial, liver cell carcinomas, lung cancer, melanoma, prostate cancer and colon cancer.
- This results from altered genes associated with cancer progression. HGH may act as a tumor promoter by suppressing certain genes and regulating certain cell receptors that promote cancer progression (Lu M, 2019).
Although scarce, available data on the cancer risk does not suggest that HGH therapy in people with growth hormone deficiency increases the risk of cancer, provided that IGF-1 levels remain with the normal range (DaSilva Institute, 2020).
The Safest Ways to Boost Human Growth Hormone Levels are Natural:
HGH production and secretion declines with age. It is also lower in cases of obesity (Godfrey RJ, 2003).
A number of stimuli can initiate HGH secretion. The most powerful, non-pharmacological ones are sleep and exercise (Godfrey RJ, 2003). Increasing endogenous, natural HGH secretion through exercise, sleep, calorie restriction and other methods may contribute to healthy aging.
You can avoid external Human Growth Hormone supplementation and increase HGH naturally. By following the lifestyle and diet tips below, you will enhance HGH and benefit with better health and longevity.
Top Three Things to Increase HGH, Health & Longevity!
The number one way to increase HGH naturally is exercise. Increased physical fitness and regular training increases HGH production in adults and alters the reduced HGH response to exercise that happens with age (Lanfranco F G. L., 2014). Exercise can increase HGH levels by 300-500% (Kanaley, 2008).
Sleep is one of the strongest ways to secrete more HGH (Godfrey RJ, 2003). The night time increase in human growth hormone is largely sleep-dependent (Davidson JR, 1991). During sleep at night, the body produces different hormones and these follow the circadian rhythm (or sleep /wake cycle) of the body (Morris CJ, 2012).
Getting enough deep sleep, especially as you age, is very important for adequate HGH production, not to mention for overall health! Get in touch with us today if you experience difficulty with sleep.
- Reduce sugar
- Intermittent fasting
- Vitamin D foods
- Arginine foods
- Melatonin foods
- Glutamine foods
- Lose weight and address insulin resistance
Other things to consider
- Liver detox
What decreases Human Growth Hormone production?
The Top HGH Killers:
** Please stay tuned for our next blog on viruses **
Want to learn functional medicine? We have an online training course and train doctors and clinicians all over the world. Learn more about our functional medicine school HERE.
If you are a clinician and have questions about our program, please click the button on the left below to book a call with him. If you are looking for help with your health, please visit our clinic site below.
Dr. Miles Nichols and Dr. Diane Mueller have spoken for the following organizations: